Aug 8, 2008

A terrible evening.....

Last night my next door neighbor and family members house caught fire....they weren't home..thank the good lord....They are so young, Daniel and Serena have 2 young boys David who is two and Matthew who is under one I think about 10 months. The house was a total loss, and they didn't have any insurance. It was the most horrific thing I have ever encountered...Serena ran into our home yelling her house was on fire and to call 911!! At first I thought stop joke...but I could tell she was serious I just ran out the house..no shoes and called 911 they want to keep you on the line and I was yelling at her that I had to go help. So I ran into the house and the whole back utility room was ingolfed in flames...like something you see straight from a movie. My hero of a husband ran to open the back utilty door to start spraying water and realized it was electrical so thank GOD he didn't spray water on it. The house was soo smoky I couldn't see. BUt I felt like Ihad to do something go in a save things start grabbing things and throwing them out in the yard.....BUt I could stand the smoke so I went to the front of the house and opened the front door..I know big mistake and don't go in a burning house...but it is so crazy how your mind is just a rampid cluster of thoughts.. All I could think was how they just told us a few months ago they didn't have insurance on their house...they had fallen on hard times...and now they were going to lose everything so I tried to crawl in the house the front door because their boys room is less than 5 feet from the front door I was just going to start grabbing stuff.... But I couldn't..I felt sooo helpless....I was standing there screaming yelling beacuse the fire trucks were pulling up and all I wanted them to do was hurry..... I have never felt the urge to just do SOMETHING...anything..I kept begging them please so something you can't just let them lose everything.....It is so terrible for me to even think about...It still seems so surreal!!! I thank God that it happened when no one was home and no one included fire fighters got hurt. But Lord....help me deal with the guilt I feel for not getting some of those babies things out.... I run a daycare at home and I have a few extra things but goodness...with the cost of everything money has even been extremely tight here....I am going to put some donation cans around our small town of Le Roy, KS....and call The American Red Cross...but after that I don't know what else I need to do...I mean Serena and Daniel are only 19 and 21...do they have any idea what to do. I am 28 and can't wrap my head around what has just happened. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free........ Let me know what is it that I do??? I will post some pictures later today after they let us go in to see if anything is salvagable...... I know in my heart just by looking from the outside of the fire tape....Their is nothing......Keep them in your prayers...please and thank you so much for reading this. Scoti

2 comments:

simple~needs said...

call some local churches and salvation army. around here it seems that the red cross take forever. we just had a girl lose her home about a block from my dad. she lost everything. i was like you, i felt helpless standing there. its like you dont want to believe its real. also post on your local freecycle groups.

softinthehead said...

Have an an online auction! If you belong to any groups, see if they will donate their creations and have an auction. I know it takes time and work to set up but it can be really worth it in the long run. Let me know if you decide to do anything like this....I would be happy to donate something I've made.....Pam